Nagaland, where the neglected Kachari Ruins cry out for attention!
The pillars are not well maintained. The history of the place dates back to the 10th century when they appeared during the Kachari civilization.
The Dimasa Kachari Ruins, the set of ruins in Dimapur, Nagaland, dates back its existence to 10th century and today stands as an epitome of historical tourism in the state. The ruins are a series of mushroom-domed pillars created by the Dimasa Kachari Kingdom, which ruled here before the Ahom attack into the territory during the 13th Century AD.
Their source and intention are largely strange. The pillars are not well maintained and have lost most of their glory because of gradual crumbling.
It is a pity that those grand pieces of architecture have been grossly neglected- leading to deterioration.
History of The Kachari Kingdom
The Kachari Kingdom was a powerful kingdom in medieval Assam. Dimapur was the capital of ancient Kachari Dynasty and the relics of the great rulers can still be found in Dimapur. The origin of the Kachari Kingdom is not clear. The rulers belonged to the Dimasa people, part of the greater Bodo-Kachari ethnic group.
Historically, in the December of 1706, the Kachari king, Tamradhaja, was invaded by the most powerful Ahom king, Rudra Singha. Defeated by the Ahom king, Tamradhaja fled southwards to Khaspur. From then onwards, the Kachari princes settled in the plains of Cachar with their court located at Khaspur. It was originally named the Hirimba kingdom in memory of the demoness Hirimba, the wife of the Pandava Bhima, who was said to have resided in the region.
The last of the Kachari Kings, Raja Gobin Chandra, was assassinated by a group of seditious people along with some of his personal attendants on April 24, 1830 at Haritikar in Cachar. In the absence of natural heirs, his kingdom lapsed to the British under the terms of an agreement executed in 1826.
Exploring the grand relics of the past
The Remnants of the Kachari Dynasty ruins are present in Dimapur and the spot, called Rajbari Park, is easily accessible. You will find a series of large mushroom domed pillars at the spot.
The tombs exist as instances of historically significant megalithic culture which flourished in the region before the rise of Ahom Dynasty. It is not clearly known what the tombs signify. But historians believe they were set up either as feats of achievements or there were religious significance.
The park looks like a chess board with rows of gigantic chess pawns some even 20 feet high. All the stones were elaborately carved with representations of birds, animals, flowers, spear heads and other motifs.
Today, the structural remains now lying at the sites are mainly the remains of a brick built gate and beautifully carved monolithic groups, tanks, and scattered blocks of stones and brick pieces with various designs.
Sadly, the ruins are not well maintained and the ASI, in charge of their maintenance has done little to preserve these glorious relics of the past. It is a protected monument but not a single guard or police personnel can be seen there. More has to be done to preserve what is left of it.